If you would like to receive The Granny Grams each week, please send an email to gfamof7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Monday, May 11, 2015

The Roles and Responsibilities of a Mother: Naomi, the Mother-in-law of Ruth

Naomi must have been a loving, caring person when her sons were still alive.  I think that is why her daughter-in-law, Ruth, wanted to stay with Naomi, in lieu of returning to her own family after her husband had died.  When we read the Book of Ruth, we see that choice had a great effect on the future life of Ruth.

I, personally was blessed with a mother-in-law who loved, liked and respected me.  And, praise the Lord, my feelings for her were mutual! After my father-in-law died, I encouraged my husband to do everything he could to lighten the load his mother now carried.  He helped her dig her garden each Spring and also took care of any maintenance her home required.  One day, when I was visiting her, we were laughing together.  Her phone rang and she was still laughing .  She was  asked if she was laughing with one of her daughters.  To my surprise, she replied, “No, my daughter-in-law is here. We laugh a lot!" She also realized her son and I needed to make our own decisions together and respected our privacy.  When my husband died at an early age, we were able to grieve together.  We were also able to recall all the happy memories we had of him.

Now, I am a mother-in-law.  I live in my own suite of rooms in my son-in-law’s and my daughter’s house.  The good things I learned from my mother-in-law I can now put into practice.
She is no longer with us, but hopefully her example to me lives on in me, my daughter, my granddaughter and my great granddaughters.  I honored her when she was alive.  Now my family also honors her memory.

Ruth 1:16,17 – “But Ruth said “Entreat me not to leave you, Or to turn back from following after you; For wherever you go, I will go .  And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;  Your people shall be my people, And your God,my God.  Where you die, I will die.  And there will I be buried.  The Lord do so to me, and more also, If anything but death parts you and me.”

Ruth committed her loyalty to Naomi for her entire life.  God rewarded Ruth with a privileged position in the lineage of David and Christ. She is the great grandmother of David.   God takes our loyalty and kindness to others very seriously.  So should we.

Thank you for reading this,

Great Granny Witt

No comments:

Post a Comment