If you would like to receive The Granny Grams each week, please send an email to gfamof7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

The Roles and Responsibilities of a Grandmother, Lois, the Grandmother of Timothy

When your children become parents, you automatically have another role to fulfill.  You don’t stop being  a mother, but you now have the added joy of being a grandmother.  You also have the responsibility to be a Godly influence on another generation.

As I peruse my present role as a great grandmother, I realize it all started with being a mother first, then a grandmother.  Now, three generations later, there is a possibility of my being a great, great, grandmother. The benefits are fabulous; as are the responsibilities.  If your own grandchildren live nearby, look around your church family and see who you might also bless as a pseudo, or substitute grandmother.  Many of my great grandchildren’s friends call me “Granny”.  They are also included in our “Sunday Hugs”.  This is what I definitely call “medicine for the soul!”

Paul said to Timothy –

2 Timothy 1:5 – “When I call to remembrance the genuine faith that is in you, which dwelt first in your grandmother, Lois and your mother, Eunice, and I am persuaded is in you also.”

I am acutely aware that I am to be entirely trustworthy in my walk with Jesus.  I must honor the Lord in all my deeds and actions.  If I make a promise to one of these children, I must follow through and make it happen.  Because I know I can depend on God for everything I need, they need to know they can depend on me to do what I say I will do.  Of course, unseen circumstances, such as illness, can change plans.  We  have an obligation to let them know ahead of time and reschedule for the future. This is a way of letting  them know we respect their feelings.

We also need to have a positive attitude toward life.  No “poor me” vibes but an attitude of contentment in whatever state I am.  As Paul told the Church at Philippi:

Philippians 4: 11, 12, & 13 – “Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content. I know how to be abased and I know how to abound.  Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”

In the whole book of Philippians, there is a pattern of life to follow that will result in a peaceful, close relationship with God and others.

2 Corinthians 2:15 – “For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those  who are being saved and among those who are perishing.”

Galatians 5:16 – “We are to walk in the Spirit and not in the flesh to bring honor and glory to God’s name and be a blessing and influence on others for  Jesus; to draw them near to Him.”

As you walk through life, seeking the will of God and His guidance, there will be a steadfast path for you to follow.  No short cuts or wrong turns will be accepted.

Proverbs 3: vs. 5,  & 6 – “  Trust in the Lord with all of your heart, And lean not on our own  understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, an He shall direct your paths.”

Thank you for reading this

Great Granny  Witt

No comments:

Post a Comment