If you would like to receive The Granny Grams each week, please send an email to gfamof7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Monday, May 25, 2015

The Roles and Responsibilities of Mothers filling in for Absentee Mothers

There are times when a mother is not able to take care of her children.  She needs someone she can trust and who has the same family values as she has.  A top priority need is when mom goes to the hospital to deliver another child, or when an illness or operation requires hospitalization.  That is when friends and neighbors come to the forefront.   If the children have been brought up according to the following scriptural advice, this will be a fun and fulfilling experience for every one involved. Even when they do not have the foundation of scripture, you, as a believer, can minister to them in love because you do have the truth of the scripture.
 
Proverbs 22:6 – “Train up a child in the way he should go and when he is old  he will not depart from it.”

Ephesians 6: vs. 1,2,3 – “Children obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.  Honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment with promise:  “that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth.”

Even though I only gave birth to one child, I have been blessed all of my adult life with many opportunities to be a positive influence on other peoples’ children.  I am also being blessed in my senior and retirement years by living in close proximity to my grand daughter and my five great grandchildren.

Here are some examples from my own life that might trigger your imagination as to how God might use you.. In my early married years we lived in a neighborhood of young couples with young children and many pregnant mothers.  God had placed me right in the middle of where I would be needed the most. Long after my daughter grew out of her crib, I kept it in case one of the neighbors’ babies needed a place to nap while the mom went grocery shopping.  I didn’t know it at the time, but God was training me to care for multiple children for my future ministry even though I only had one of my own.  My daughter was also happy to have other children to play with in her own home.

We had a humorous situation arise when I enrolled my little girl in Nursery School at age four.  She was picked up each day by the school’s station wagon driver who lived on down the street from us. The teacher at the school asked each child if they had any brothers or sisters at home.  My little one said she had three brothers.  The driver knew I only had one child, so she asked my daughter where I kept her three brothers.  She said I kept  them under the house.  Today, they would probably have believed the four year old and it would have become an explosive situation.  Thankfully, it was recognized as just a figment of a child’s imagination!

Since I became a widow, most of my adult life has been spent taking care of young teen girls who found themselves in an emergency care situation in homes for unwed mothers.   God can use a mother’s love to help anyone in need of that particular kind of love.  I praise the Lord that He chose to surround me over the years with hundreds of girls to impact with the love of Jesus.  My only daughter is a  Pastor’s wife and she and her husband are Marriage Counselors to many couples here and abroad.  

God knows all of our abilities and gifts because He gave them to us.  We just need to be willing to follow His lead and guidance.

Thank you for reading this,

Great Granny Witt                  

No comments:

Post a Comment