If you would like to receive The Granny Grams each week, please send an email to gfamof7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Monday, October 26, 2015

Grieve with no regrets and you will be able to focus on happy, positive memories

My words and thoughts are coming out of a  grieving heart.  My heart is broken because my younger sister, Jeanne died last Sunday, October 18th.  We were very close.  She had moved from Ohio to the West Coast many years ago. Ever since then she has called me every Wednesday morning at 10:00 and I called her every Saturday at 10:00.  I always spent my vacations with her in California.  We never lost touch with each other.  When her husband had a stroke a couple of years ago, I went to stay with her until he recuperated.  She also came to be with me whenever I was in a crisis situation.  

My heart is broken but my memories of our lives are sweet memories.  She sent me the following poem in January, this year, with a sticky note saying:

"Hi, I don’t know when I wrote this but evidently it never got sent!"  Signed “Much love from your sister Jeanne.”

SISTER DOROTHY
HERE’S TO A SISTER WHO IS VERY DEAR
WE’VE ALSO BEEN FRIENDS FOR MANY A YEAR
WE HAVE LAUGHED TOGETHER, CRIED TOGETHER, BEEN SAD AND BEEN GLAD
BUT NOTHING WE SAID OR DID EVER MADE US MAD
FOR THE LORD BROUGHT US LOVE AND CARING AND SHARING
AND NOW THAT WE ARE OLDER AND OUR BODIES ARE WEARING
HE STILL LOOKS AFTER US FROM ABOVE AND THERE’S
NOTHING MORE PRECIOUS THAN SISTERLY LOVE
JEANNE

I thank the Lord for the time I had with her.  She is now in His care and I now I will see her again when Jesus calls me home and will be able to spend eternity with Him and my sister.
Many emotions come into play at the death of a loved one.  COMFORT because they are no longer in pain.  PEACE because they are with our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.  LOVE because of the many loving memories we have of our lives with them when they were still here with us.  JOY because when our days here on earth are ended and the Lord calls us home; we will be united with them again for all of eternity.  

While our loved ones are still here with us, we need to build up a treasure chest filled with happy memories to be recalled by us at any given time.  We also need to be sure our relationship with them is not marred by unforgiving hearts or any other negative emotions that would cause us to have memories of regret after they are gone.  Family, friends and loved ones are of the essence.  We all seem to draw close together when we are in the midst of grief.  I intend, in the very near future, to write a letter of love to each member of my family and my closest friends. I want them to know how blessed I am to have them in my life.  Prayerfully, that will comfort them when I no longer can.  

Some scriptures to substantiate this are as follows:  

Psalm 23:4 – “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For you are with me. Your rod and Your staff, they COMFORT me.  

Psalm 40:1 – “ Comfort, yes, COMFORT my people ! Says your God.” 

1 Thessalonians 5:11 – “Therefore COMFORT each other and edify one another, just as you are doing.”  

Isaiah 53:3 – He is despised and rejected by men.  A Man of sorrow and acquainted with GRIEF.” 

Hebrews 13:17 – “Obey those who rule over you and be submissive, for they watch out for your souls, as those who must give account.  Let them do so with joy and not GRIEF, for that would be unprofitable for you.”  

Galatians 5:22, 23 – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (loneliness), kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self control, Against such there is no law.” 

Paul’s advice to us in
Ephesians 4:1,2,3 – “I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness with longsuffering (loneliness) bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.”  

Colossians 1:11– Strengthened with all might, according to His glorious power; for all patience and long suffering (loneliness) with joy.”  

Ephesians 2:13,14 – “But now in Christ Jesus you who were once far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.  For He Himself is our peace, who has made both one, and has broken down the wall of separation.” 

Colossians 3:15 – “And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to which also you were called in one body; and be thankful.”

2 Corinthians 13:11 – “Finally brethren  farewell.  Become complete.  Be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace:  and the God of love and peace will be you. 
Thank you for reading this,
Great Granny Witt

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear about your sister, but I'm glad you were so close and that the miles between never changed that.

    ReplyDelete