If you would like to receive The Granny Grams each week, please send an email to gfamof7(at)gmail(dot)com.

Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Jesus, Our Peace

Guest Post: Jen Gorton, Dorothy's grandaughter

Tonight we did the bills. As always, I started to get a little freaked out and panicky over those needs and desires that we had to subtract from our checkbook. What if the Lord did not meet every need? What if He wanted to teach us to deny ourselves fun stuff like the zoo and fried chicken? He would understand if we held that tithe check an extra week, wouldn’t He? After all, we did make it out first. Does it really matter if we actually put it in the plate right away? What if we need it!!! Can you hear the pitch of my voice going higher and higher?
*That, my friends, is the sound of a lack of peace that comes from a lack of trust in Almighty God.
*One of the purposes of Jesus’ life was to bring us peace; Isaiah 9:6 refers to Him as the Prince of Peace. The Old Testament prophecies that foretold of His coming referred over and over again to the gift of peace He would bring to the world. Jesus was coming to spread good news of the peace that only He could bring between God the Father and the people of the earth. (Isaiah 52:7) And Jesus did not just bring peace; He is peace according to Micah 5:5.
*
I am reminded of a beautiful thing Jesus said in John 14:27 as He was preparing His disciples for a potentially unnerving time – His physical departure from their midst.
*Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.
*What comforting words. Not only does this promise apply to me, but I am shamelessly thrilled to know that the original fathers of the Christian faith were also easily stressed out and needed reminders of the attributes and goodness of the One they worshipped.
*
As for the bills: ever faithful, the Lord graciously provided for every need that we had, even throwing in a little extra to cover some simple desires that were not necessary for our daily life. Like the zoo and fried chicken.
*
Prayer:
Thank You, Jesus, for Your gift of peace to me. Please help me to remember that it is there! When I begin to rely on my own logic and reasoning, giving in to fear, draw me back to rest in You. Amen.
*
Challenge:
During this second week of Advent, I encourage you to be watchful of areas that you easily fall into peace-less-ness. When those times arise, whether in your parenting or even your trips to the grocery store, stop and remind yourself that Jesus came to bring peace and that He actually IS peace.
*Advent – Week Two:Theme: Bethlehem (Peace)
Scriptures: Sun. Is. 11:1-10, Mon. Zech. 6:12-13, Tue. Mic. 5:2-4, Wed. Mal. 3:1-6, Thu. John 1:1-8, Fri. John 1:9-18, Sat. Mark 1:1-3 (You can limit your readings to one day if you that works better for your family.)
*
Jen 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment